The Festival Day of dance has again this year been arranged by Peter Heigham of Green Oak Morris Men of Doncaster. Peter has been a Morris dancer for over 30 years and had danced with a number of sides in various parts of England and with many traditions.
Last year Peter took over the delivery of the Day of Dance from Paul Davenport of Hallamshire Traditions who has worked tirelessly with the Festival over the years to establish Doncaster as a recognised destination for Traditional Dance. There are many reasons to come to Doncaster Folk Festival, and if it's Morris Dancing you are looking for, you will not be disappointed! Paul is attending the festival with Maltby Sword and also as one of the music acts.
Our Day of Traditional Dance takes place on Saturday and we have many Morris sides bringing you a rich diversity of dance styles. This year we have also included a traditional Irish Dance school to broaden the event – other dance genres may be added in future years.
This year's schedule is as follows:
Saturday 12th May between 10:30 - 12:00 & 1:00-4:00
- Corn Exchange in Market Place
- Goose Hill in the Market Place
- Frenchgate in the Pedestrian Precinct
- Priory Walk in the Pedestrian Precinct
The sides signed up to appear are:
- Green Oak Morris Men – Doncaster – Cotswold: greenoakmorrismen.weebly.com
- Maltby Sword – Maltby – Sword and Rapper: www.maltbysword.co.uk
- Allington Morris – Allington – Cotswold: allingtononline.co.uk/allington-morris
- Harthill Morris – Harthill – Cotswold: threeshiresclog.org.uk
- Sullivans Sword – Nottingham – Longsword: www.sullivanssword.co.uk
- Lizzie Dripping – Sheffield – Various: www.lizziedripping.org.uk
- Wath Morris – Wath – Cotswold/Border: www.wath-morris.co.uk
- Grenoside Sword – Sheffield – Sword: grenosword2010.apwb.com
- Rainbow Morris – Mixed North West – Saltaire: rainbowmorris.co.uk
- Celtic Rose School of Irish dance – Doncaster – www.facebook.com/celticroseschool
- Rattlejag Morris – Retford – Local tradition: www.rattlejagmorris.org.uk